Enough with crazy markups! Our philosophy is that women should be able to own high-quality, long-lasting jewelry without spending a crazy amount of money.
We make our products with materials and quality specifications befitting of leading luxury brands. However, you will find that our prices are similar to those of mid-market brands selling products made with lower quality materials.
Learn more about what makes Linjer jewelry unique below...
Materials in Linjer Jewelry
- Sterling silver: Sterling silver is a standard material in high quality jewelry. It is precious metal alloy made of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals. This is a wonderful base material because it is long-lasting and flexible. Did you know? Our silver-tone pieces are all plated in rhodium, a rare, precious metal that gives the piece extra shine, lustre and durability.
- Gold vermeil: (vehr-may) A high quality type of gold-plated jewelry. Its base material is sterling silver and it has a super thick layer of gold plating for long-lasting colour and shine. The gold must be at least 10k and the plating at least 2.5 microns thick to be labelled “gold vermeil” according to US Federal Trade Commission regulations. (For a more in-depth explanation of these terms, check out our blog post: What is Gold Vermeil?) Linjer's gold vermeil pieces use 14k gold and a thickness of 2.5-3 microns. That is 5x thicker than regular “gold-plated” jewelry and ~100x thicker than regular "flash-plated" jewelry, which means a Linjer gold vermeil piece will outlast regular gold-plated and flash-plated jewelry by many years. Did you know? Canada has lower quality standards for 'gold vermeil'; the plating needs to be only 1 micron thick. Be cautious about the 'gold vermeil' label when shopping online and always ask for the plating thickness if it's not specified.
- Solid 14k gold: The ultimate luxury material, gold is a rare precious metal that does not oxidize or discolour. We use 14k gold, which means it is 58.33% gold. We chose this colour for its beautiful, subtle hue and its durability.
Sustainability is a core value of our studio...after all, we started Linjer because we were fed up with the 'throwaway' attitude of fast fashion.
Our current sustainability efforts span four areas:
- Longevity (product design): We make our products with the highest quality materials and ultra-thick plating so that they provide for years and years – if not a lifetime – of enjoyment. That's the reason we exclusively use high quality materials like sterling silver, gold vermeil and solid 14k gold.
- Recycled materials where possible: Our solid 14k gold items are made with 100% recycled gold, and our sterling silver items are made with recycled silver.
- Packaging: Our packaging boxes are made with recycled grey board, and the paper in our boxes and inserts are from FSC-certified sources.
- Offsetting carbon emissions: We offset emissions of every shipment for purchases made on the Linjer webshop. This is funded completely by us, at no cost to our customers.